Tuesday, December 02, 2008

'67 Mustang Fastback


I owned this car from 1986 to 1997 (give or take) and I treated it like a princess. I bought only the best parts for it. I changed the oil about every 30 minutes. It had a custom cover and was only driven on sunny days on clean roads. I bought premium gas and took my shoes off when I got in. I drove it so gently that I never had to buy tires for it the whole time and it hated my guts.


I never hot-rodded it or mistreated it even one time and it broke down on me EVERY SINGLE TIME I drove it! I don't mean it broke down a few times or that I often had some trouble with it. I mean it quit running for some reason every time I drove it, no exaggeration. It went through a spell of dying - completely stopped running - every time I turned right. I had to take jumper cables, every tool I owned and an ASC certified mechanic with me everywhere I went. It started overheating on me so I replaced the fan, waterpump, radiator, guage and eventually the whole engine and it STILL got hot.


I finally sold it to a dealer and because it looked so good I got a good price for it. He paid me the money and I gave him the title and he asked me to drive it over to a certain spot where he wanted it. As I pulled it over there the power steering pump blew out spewing fluid all over the parking lot. Finally able to smile about it, I said, "Uh oh, your car just broke down!" Best day I'd had in a decade!

4 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Aw, heck, I coulda put a herd of 'stangs in the trunk of my Chrysler... ;-)

an Donalbane said...

I do agree with you, though, it's a beautiful car - love the fastback.

Anonymous said...

You missed the point. It wasn't supposed to drive anywhere, it was supposed to go parking!


Dew

an Donalbane said...

Aww, c'mon Dew. A handsome and debonair dude like Todd didn't need such a pretext...or did he?