Thursday, February 14, 2008

50 Years!!


Today, Valentines Day, is an important day in the life of my family. My parents have been married for 50 years today and I learned something as to the secret. Our whole family got together for lunch after church Sunday to celebrate and as we all sat in the restaurant talking, eating and laughing, I asked my Dad the question. "So, Pop, what's the secret?", I asked. My Dad, who was sitting across the table and down a few chairs didn't answer. He just kept eating. "Pop! What's the secret?", I asked a little louder. Still nothing. I asked him one more time and still he didn't hear me. Finally, my brother-in-law, who was sitting next to him replied, "Evidently, the secret is not being able to hear very well!"
I'm sure that is a big part of it sometimes but I know there is more, not the least of which is both putting Christ at the center of the marriage and leaving divorce out of the question from day one. Thanks, Mom and Pop, for your example and if anyone sees them, please congratulate them on putting up with each other for so long. Just say it loud!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Blair! That is an accomplishment, especially so in today's toxic culture.

My own parents will likewise celebrate 50 this August, as will my in-(almost out)-laws. Not going to happen for me, though, unfortunately (not even in 32 years).

I don't know if it's something in the water, or maybe lots of folks these days are conditioned to believe that marriage should be uninterruped bliss, and if it isn't, just chuck it. Seems to me that to make it, there's got to be perspective, and commitment that goes beyond mere words.

Well, here's to hearing Paul Harvey toast your parents in his 'parade of roses' in 25 more years!

Best wishes!