Monday, May 28, 2007

My hero


I often hear people lament the lack of heroes in our world today and I understand their concern. Where did all the heroes go? In what era did they live and what did they do to deserve being labeled heroes? The dictionary defines a hero as a person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life. That definition certainly minimizes the impact of so-called "sports heroes", does it not? Maybe we call them heroes because we, as a society, are in desperate need of having someone to idolize. We realize the importance of someone showing us how to be better than average; better than we are naturally inclined to be.

I submit that we still have heroes today and they are all around us as well as many miles away. They will tell you that they are just doing their job or just following orders. They rarely go into detail about the things that have done or are doing that deserves them the label 'hero". They quietly show courage and nobility of purpose, risking and sacrificing their lives even today and from hundreds of years past. If anybody has ever deserved to be called a hero it is the American soldier. Who better to be idolized and emulated than our nation's fighting men and women, fighting around the world so we do not have to, either here or there. No matter what one's political views or ideas, one has to appreciate the courage and sacrifice that they show every day from door-to-door combat in Iraq to pushing a pencil in North Carolina or cooking meals in Japan. These heroes sacrifice more in a day than most us do in years and I and many others are very grateful.

I have several friends and family members that have served in the military, many volunteering very young and serving bravely in World War II, but one of my favorites is my good friend and hero Bud Elkins. Bud and his precious wife Dorothy go to my church and it is one of the highlights of a Sunday to see and talk to Bud. Bud was one who joined the military very early in life. He says he was just wanting to see the country and get out of his small Pennsylvania town but I recognize in him the natural patriotism that motivated many just like him to allow themselves to be taken to a foreign country away from friends and family to protect those friends and family when they were able to do so. Bud was sent to North Africa to serve on a B-24 Liberator airplane. He has told me stories of being very scared in the middle of heavy enemy artillery seeing planes and friends being blown out of the sky right next to him, wondering when would be his time, but while scared, continuing to do his job and doing it well. No brag - just fact. Just doing his job, he says.

I talked to Bud this morning, this Memorial Day morning. I called him and told him that I appreciated him and what he did many years ago in uniform and for the bravery that he still shows today as an elderly man with lots of aches and pains that he rarely mentions. We were both moved as he quickly shared some war memories that made me even more grateful for his service and for the fact that he is with us today. Bud has told me several times that he is no hero and he gets embarrassed when that honor is given to him but to me that is just more proof that Bud is a hero. He is my hero and I will forever be indebted to him. Thank you Bud!

No comments: