Friday, May 04, 2007

Mrs. Overman, is that you?!

This comment is in response to my "Mayday" blog:

Waive or wave? Do not confuse the spelling of waive and wave, which sound similar. Waive is a verb meaning "surrender or refrain from enforcing something": She waived her right to remain silent. They decided to waive the restrictions. The related noun is spelled waiver. Wave is a noun and verb with various meanings, usually involving ridge-shaped or undulating motion, as in the waves of the ocean, radio waves, waved goodbye. The noun waver is unrelated to wave: it corresponds to the verb waver meaning "go back and forth between possibilities."
-- MSN Dictionary

This comment is from someone who says they are Your English Teacher. I assume this person must be Ida Overman from high school and it is so good to hear from her! I always liked Mrs. Overman! She was so sweet and she really tried to help me truly learn, not just pass tests. Mrs. Overman was very gentle and sweet-spirited and so I have to wonder if this is truly her making a comment on my blog. I think, though, that it must be someone else because not only did Mrs. Overman correct me lovingly but she also knew to write in complete sentences. So, Your English Teacher, I am glad you are there to keep me honest with my spelling. If you read more you will probably be very bizzy.

No comments: