Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I heart Babes

No, not that kind of babes! Babe's Chicken Dinner House. I'm in Granbury today for work and stopped to have some of the best fried chicken and fixin's anywhere. They also have a place in Burleson. The food is family style and I ate enough to feed a family but half way through the meal all of the young waitresses got up to dance. You might think that would be entertaining but you would be wrong today. I enjoy the "Hokey-Pokey" as much as the next man (insert eye roll here) but every time I do the "Hokey-Pokey" I try to add as much feeling into it as is reasonable. These girls mutilated a perfectly good annoying child's song with particular unemphasis on the putting in and taking out of their elbows. They also only partly shook the various body parts, not one of them shaking anything "all about".

When that song was mercifully over, the girl who was my waitress got the microphone and launched into a dreadful version of "Crazy" by Patsy Cline and went around the restaurant singing into the eyes of male customers even holding their chin with her hand as she sang. I looked up from my chicken and noticed how most of the patrons in the place were politeley averting their eyes from this wanna-be budding young star but the girl was looking at and coming toward me! I'm not easily embarrassed but one of us needed to be and so I just smiled as she softly touched my shoulder and sang about how crazy she was for me just like she just did for some fat trucker in the other booth. I love fried chicken but I don't know if I can handle the collateral damage to my psyche from eating at Babe's any more!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're one tough customer, Todd. I think it was Ricky Nelson, the night manager at Christal's, who sang to a customer as he bagged her purchases, "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

BTW, you forgot to mention the premier location, on Oak Street in beautiful downtown Roanoke. Wonderful establishment, and I've never seen them do the Hokey-Pokey in there...

Anonymous said...

Do I detect some form of discrimination or disparagement against hyper-avoirdupois transportation-Americans?

todd said...

No, I like Mexicans.

Anonymous said...

Every time I'm there she sings to only me. I wear clean overalls just for her. My wife says its a Baptist gentlemens club.

Dew

Anonymous said...

Just a couple of comments:

1) Where has the party ethic in this country gone? "Particular unemphasis on the putting in and taking out of...elbows...not...shaking anything all about." It's a sad commentary on today's generation.

2) Look on the bright side, the waitress could've really creeped you out with the maudlin "Killing Me Softly", or how about "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy"? I don't know what this waitress looked like, but that could really traumatize your drumstick (you did say it was a fried chicken place, didn't you?).