Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Something's gotta give.

Like Alan Jackson, I'm not a real political man.  I watch CNN (and Fox) and I see that the government is probably going to "shut down" this weekend because Republicans and Democrats can't see eye to eye on budget cuts.  If you want exact details, stats and graphs explaining this please go see my friend Don here at One Nation Under God.  If you want to read my mindless drivel about it stay here for just a minute.  I know I'm in over my head and will just tread water for a short time.

I say I am over my head because I can't believe this is such a problem.  Surely I am missing something here.  If I personally don't have any money left and every credit card is maxed-out and I have nobody left to borrow from, it is time to stop spending.  In fact, it's time to make drastic, painful cuts in my lifestyle.  This is gonna hurt but I have no choice.  I just heard a democratic senator say on tv that we can't cut the budget as much as the republicans want to because that would take money away from necessary items like cancer research, public broadcasting and national parks.  Look, I do understand that cancer research is important.  I don't want college kids to not receive grants.  I wish we could give more to national parks so they didn't have to rely on volunteers as much.  I love national parks but phooey on national parks if we have to go into more debt to maintain them!

This is going to hurt, people!  If it doesn't hurt your pocketbook then it is not enough.  It is time for us as a nation to sell the mansion that we live in and can't afford and buy a trailer.  Cut out the weekly manis and pedis.  Buy rice and beans in bulk and quit eating out all-together.  I am ready to do my part.  Quit subsidizing short, fat, bald guys.  I'm ok with that.  I just hope they don't cut any more from the cowboy poetry fund.  Some things really are necessary.

Oh, give me a home
Where the bull market roams,
And Harry and Nancy pay
For the ruination
Of this great nation
...And we never see BO again!

No comments: