Friday, February 12, 2010

AMT .380











Life is full of compromises. Not the least of which is deciding what gun is right for you. My little AMT .380 gets nothing but grief from everybody that ever sees it. It is very small. There is no safety and no sights. It only holds five rounds and the .380 is on the fringe of what most consider to be caliber enough to be a man-stopper. Lots of people that have had an AMT complain about reliability. In the gun world, this is the ugly stepchild.








This was the first pistol I ever owned. I bought it new with my own money when I was probably still a teenager. I carried it concealed one way or the other for about twenty years. I carried it in my boot or inside my waistband and sometimes in my pocket and sometimes still do even though I have a bigger, better gun. I often had failure to fires at the gun range until it got completely broken-in and often thought about trying to trade for something else but knew it had a bad reputation.








The biggest problem I have with it now is trying to find and pay for ammo. It is not nor was it designed to be a target pistol or a bear-slayer. It doesn't have lasers or adjustable carbon fiber diode gas-impinged night sights. The grips are not ivory or even wood. It's not comfortable to shoot nor does it make a big hole in the paper. It's not alot of things but it is considerably better than nothing at all and if you want concealability in a snag-free frame I will be one of the few to choose the compromising little AMT.

4 comments:

Don Dodson said...

Actually, if I was to meet a grizzly with nothing but a handgun to protect myself, I would want that one.

todd said...

Why is that, Don?

Don Dodson said...

Well, Todd, when the grizzly shoves that gun where the sun don't shine it won't hurt so bad.

todd said...

Another good point...