Friday, June 01, 2012

Life's better with a sense of humor.

I recently found this little hole in the wall church that meets on Thursday nights. Last night was my third time there. I was first told it was a cowboy church and so I wanted to check it out. Turns out it is a biker church. I have been to a cowboy church before and felt like it was more about "Hey look at my hat!" than it was about Jesus but the biker church has been nothing but Jesus-focused, Bible-loving, Spirit-led worship, led by guys wearing their colors but not trying to draw attention to themselves. In fact, showing up at church not dressed like a Hell's Angel made me stand out like a Suzuki in a parking lot full of Harleys; which is exactly what happened last night when I showed up on my little Zuk 300. I was going to park around the corner but Pastor Speedy (yep!) saw me and motioned for me to park right in front. So, I backed my free little beater into a row full of full-dressed Hogs that each cost more than my car did, got off and put my skunk helmet on the seat and was immediately warmly welcomed by several guys you wouldn't want to meet in an alley. We have all made mistakes in the past. We all have regrets. But as I got off the bike last night and realized how ridiculous I must look to them, I appreciated the fact that they don't take themselves too seriously. Because I still wouldn't want to make 'em mad!

11 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Dew wants to know if he can attend on a Vespa...

Anonymous said...

I did but they made me wear a shirt under my cut.

todd said...

Cut?

an Donalbane said...

I think he meant they made him wear pants & underwears under his chaps.

an Donalbane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The primary visual identification of a member of an outlaw motorcycle club is the vest adorned with a large club-specific patch or patches, predominantly located in the middle of the back. The patch(es) will contain a club logo, the name of the club, and the letters MC, and a possible state, province, or other chapter identification. This garment and the patches themselves are referred to as the colors or cut (a term taken from the early practice of cutting the collars and/or sleeves from a denim or leather jacket


Dew

an Donalbane said...

Thank you Deweypedia - I'm gonna have to brush up on my biker lingo.

BTW, you didn't close out that last parenthetical phrase.

Anonymous said...

There, Their, They're Don!


Dew

eddie said...

300 Suzuki? Hmmm? I thought I recognized that bicycle shifter choke cable setup.

Anonymous said...

you can be whatever you want, and ride whatever you want, as long as you love God with all your heart, mind and soul.

Anonymous said...

shifter cable bicycle setup choke.

is that a kin to fairy rigging?