Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's complicated.

There is a button that you can check on Facebook regarding your relationship that says, "It's complicated". You can be married or divorced or single or complicated. I'm kind of in the stage now where I'm a little bit of all that. Everything about my relationship is complicated. I never had reason to think about it before but now I have to wonder about how to act in front of some people. Do I tell people I'm about to be divorced or that I'm single or married or nothing at all? Do I have to wear a shirt when I eat dinner? How much is my house worth? Who owns the bed? What do you do with a family Bible when there is no longer the family in the front cover page? Hmm...I don't know.

The Bible tells us "Lean not on your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge Him". It's a good thing I don't have to lean on my understanding or I would probably fall over. God never promises us a life of ease. In fact, Job said that "Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble". Job would know too! But I do know one thing. I have told our Bible Fellowship class at church a hundred times that God gives peace and joy even in the hardest times and the other day I realized that I think I was right and didn't really understand it until now. I know I'm not the first one to go through this and won't be the last. So I'll tell all those who unfortunately come this way in the future that while life will be complicated, if you acknowledge God in all you do you don't have to rely on your own understanding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a son who went thru this, happily married for 14 years (he was) then one day it was over. She met someone on the internet. I saw him go thru every emotion under the sun. But he will tell you today what gets him thru is leaning on God, being thankful everyday for what he has in his life today. 4 years and it's still tough but he is co parenting two children. still trying to figure that term- co-parenting? I simply am thankful for him. Some of today's society are just throw away people, it's not working perfectly (the way I want it) throw it away, get a new one. I don't have time to work it out, it's not fun. they are the losers. I am grateful that he and you hold on to the one person who is constant and will not change. Jesus.